MOSS ECO-FLEX TECHNOLOGY
Recycled Foam Core | Zero VOC Plant-Based Epoxy
Natural Fiber Reinforcements | Bamboo and Repurposed Fins
- INCREASED BOARD PERFORMANCE & LONGEVITY
- LIGHTER BOARD WITH INCREASED FLEXIBILITY AND STRENGTH
- COMPRISED OF UP TO 75% PLANT BASED AND RECYCLED MATERIALS
- SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION IN ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS
- HEALTHIER WORKING ENVIRONMENT FOR MANUFACTURERS
- DOMESTIC PRODUCTION AND MATERIAL SUPPLY CHAIN
Manufacturing old-fashioned Poly/PU boards is an extremely dirty undertaking. They are derived from more than 90% virgin petrochemical products! They rely on petroleum extraction, (which is linked to energy consumption, greenhouse emissions, global-wide social issues ect.) and are host to many well-know carcinogens. Since they are non-biodegradable and cannot be recycled, once Polyurethane boards succumb to the elements, their new home will be the landfills or the Gyre where they will remain un-decomposed far beyond the span of our lifetime.
Eco-Flex boards last approximately twice as long as the standard issue Poly/PU. This means more surfing and less squirreling coins after chucking your disposable PU board to the dumpsite after 6 months. The complete Eco-Flex construction process produces 90% less VOC’s. The blank emits no CFC’s (chlorinated-fluorocarbons or greenhouse gasses). The entire construction is approximately 70% PLANT-BASED AND RECYCLED WASTE-STREAM MATERIALS.
Our plant-based resin, derived from waste stream resources such as pine sap and rapid-renewable plant oils (used in the bio fuel industry), are nearly benign to humans and produce no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds). This production process shortcuts mineral extraction and energy outputs used in the process – and completely bypasses the repeated catastrophes that arise in locating, extracting and transporting petroleum.
Our 50-100% recycled EPS blanks have a water absorption rate of 1% after submersed for 24 hours. This means your board is not sucking, literally. The fused cellular structure is a precision building component with greater “memory,” to spring-back out of maneuvers. Moreover, the 2 LB density (approx. ½ the weight of a standard poly blank) can handle more reinforcements in reaching target strength-to-weigh ratio. The added buoyancy of the foam uses less material in satisfying flotation requirements. The end results are a board with twice the flex and nearly double the strength! Eco-Flex Technology puts the smack down on the dirty ole Poly/PU surfboard.
Flex and Strength
Super Sap gets its unique flex characteristics from a special polymer found in pine sap. The elongation properties are many times greater than those found in petroleum, creating a far more resilient and elastic resin. The high adhesion properties have made it a choice bonding agent in creating flexible laminates (sandwich constructions) in industries such as snowboard manufacturing. The same properties attribute to a low instance of delamination and a longer lasting performance in surfboards. In mechanical terms, our bio-epoxy resin has an elongation of 40% to breaking point whereas; industry standard epoxy weighs in at only 6-9%. Old-fashioned polyester resin does not even register on this scale at 0%.
THE ENVIRONMENT & YOU
An Environmentally Friendly Blank
50-100% recycled foam core -reconstituted industrial waste and packing scraps. EPS foam is blown with steam using no MDI or TDI (diisocyanates). The process produces no CFC’s and 80% less VOC’s. The fused cell blanks are lighter (with longer lasting memory or spring back), more durable and absorb almost no water when dinged.
- Plant Derived, zero VOC formula
- Bio renewable content of up to 75% significantly reduces the petrochemical content of the resin and the end product.
- Bio mass sourced from waste streams of other industrial process sees a significant carbon footprint reduction
- Reduced power and water consumption
- Closed distillation loop of bio-derived materials reduces waste and greenhouse gas emission as compared to petrochemical distillation processes
Shared Bio-Mass Pipeline
- Bio-mass sourced from waste streams of other industrial processes
- Does not compete with food sources
How We Benefit
- Non-petrochemical components eliminate almost all harmful chemical constituents and carcinogens found in polyester resins.
- No surfacing agents (styrene monomer)
- No catalyst (methyl ethyl ketone peroxide)
- No solvents required (acetone)
- Less than 0.001% VOC emissions